Take Care of Winter Skin
November 14 2019
It’s hard to believe, but the cold weather months are upon us again. We probably don’t need to remind you, but cold winter air can be super harsh to your skin. The low temps combined with wind and low humidity outside will dry your skin out, while warm and dry air indoors will further rob the moisture from your skin.
Without proper care, dry skin can lead to redness, itchiness, chapping, and cracking, and make other skin conditions such as eczema and acne worse. Taking proper care of your skin this season can counteract these effects and keep your skin looking healthy and youthful. The following are some of our top tips to keep your skin looking its best in the winter- and beyond.
- Invest in a humidifier. Running a humidifier in your home or office will add moisture to dry winter air and help keep your skin hydrated. Use a humidifier in the rooms you are in the most, including your bedroom while sleeping.
- Limit shower time and temps. It may feel tempting to go for a long hot shower, but try to resist. Your skin will fare much better in a room temperature shower that only lasts around 5-10 minutes. You should even avoid high heat when washing your hands to avoid irritation and dryness.
- Lower the thermostat. Don’t keep the heat cranked up too high, and turn the temperature down even lower at night. Dress in layers and use more blankets on your bed at night to help you stay comfortable. This little tip will help your skin retain its much-needed moisture, and also help you to be more alert during the day while sleeping better at night.
- Sun protection. UV rays can still damage your skin in winter! A high percentage of damaging UVAs still penetrate the atmosphere, which will in turn age your skin. Just as in the summer, exercise caution if you’re outdoors during the day. Sunscreen should be worn during extended sun exposure, and hats and full-coverage clothing will also help.
- Call a pro! Professional facials involve deep cleansing, exfoliation, and moisturizing. We can help to correct any issues you may have with your skin already-such as acne- while also minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Exfoliation is especially important to rid your skin of dead skin cells and allow a good quality moisturizer to penetrate your skin and build a protective barrier.
Don’t neglect your skin this winter. Come see us at TRU Salon + Spa. Our team of professionals can help you with all your skincare needs. Give us a call at one of our two locations- Branchburg, NJ (908) 218-9878 or Warren, NJ (908) 753-9878, book online, or download the app from free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.